Discover how life has changed in the past 1,300 years at the largest prehistoric Indian city north of Mexico, then move through the decades past Abraham Lincoln’s early years to present day events at historic sites.
The 19th-century courthouse has a great view of the town’s hundreds of crab apple, red bud, and cherry trees in season. It is the centerpiece of the Square which is lined with shops, a theatre and restaurants.
This is the largest prehistoric Indian city north of Mexico. Climb Monk’s Mound, see the film and lifesize village. Don’t miss annual events that focus on Native American culture. Cahokia Mounds is located on the Historic National Road.
In 1898, David Fife began the construction of the second story opera house in downtown Palestine. On the street level, Fife operated a hardware store and undertaking business. The modern theater offered electric lights, beautiful murals, and plush seating for the public’s enjoyment. The theater’s opulence is still evident today. Restoration has included the hand-painted murals and rolled curtain, as well as the renovation of the entire second story. Contact the Palestine Preservation Society for more information, tours, and to rent the facility by calling 618-586-9418.
The 1750’s French Colonial fort is built atop the original stone foundation. Inside the fort is the restored powder magazine believed to be the oldest building in Illinois. The Winter and Summer Rendezvous draw thousands of visitors each year.
Built in 1872, the two-story Victorian brick building featured a livery stable on the first floor and an Opera house. Harlan Hall now serves as a community center with the second floor dedicated as the National Road Welcome Center.
The National Road is called the “road that built the nation” because it was the first highway in American history. Today the National Road in Illinois covers 164 miles, from Marshall and the Wabash Valley, to East St. Louis and the Mississipi River.
This reconstructed 1812 settler village, was erected through the industrious efforts of the Hutsonville Historic Society. Begun in 1967, it honors the areas first sttler…the Hutson family. The village consists of a church, barn, home, museum, inn and weaver’s cabin. The site is located on Outer South Rose Stree in Hutsonville. It is open every Sunday, June through October from 2 pm to 4 pm and is available for weddings, meetings, and tours. For more information, contact 618-563-4531 and leave a message.
The bell was rung as the island was captured from the British during the Revolutionary War by Col. George Rogers Clark and his “Long Knives.”
The entire 165-year-old German settlement is on the National Register of Historic Places. Restoration includes a church from 1867 and the one-lane stone arched bridge. The Corner George Inn, general store, kaffeehaus, sweet shoppe, museum and visitor’s center are open Friday through Sunday.
This congregation migrated here from North Carolina and the church building was dedicated in 1846. According to custom, the cemetery is laid out in four sections: married men, married women, boys and girls.
Learn the history of travel and transportation in the early days of our country through interactive maps, exhibits and films. You’ll see how the National Road was an important factor in the westward expansion. The Center is open Tuesday through Saturday from 10:00am to 4:00pm.
The oldest Illinois State Capitol building is Federal-style architecture. At the top of the staircase are the Senate and House of Representatives where Abraham Lincoln began his political career.
Major Shopping Centers
Bikes and Walking Trails
Hunting and Fishing
Parks and Lakes
Hotels and Motels
Bed and Breakfasts